alarms. Test monthly and change batteries annually.
Chip-pan fires are
the most frequent type of fire- take care and never leave
Always use a proper
candleholder, and keep candles away from draughts,
or anything flammable.
Keep portable heaters
away from furniture, furnishings and flammable
items, and switch them off
ever time you leave the house.
Buy a fixed guard to
place around an open fire.
Donít use a hot or
sparking power tool, and donít leave a soldering iron,
or any DIY
At night, before you
go to bed unplug all electrical items not in use.
Always use correctly
rated fuses in all electrical appliances.
Avoid using multi-way
plug socket adapters, if possible.
Never run electrical
cables,/leads, or wiring under carpets.
Keep hot liquids out
of reach of children.
Do not store things
over the stove, where someone may be burned while reaching for them.
Remove any curtains that could easily be ignited.
Wear short or
close-fitting sleeves when cooking; loose clothing can catch fire.
Keep your stove and
Turn pot or pan
handles inward so they canít be knocked off the stove or pulled down by
If a grease fire
starts on you stove, do not put water on it. Instead, carefully slide a
lid over the burning pan to extinguish the flames, then turn off the
When the fire in the
oven dies out, turn off the gas and allow the remaining
gas to leak out
(escape) completely before rekindling.
Never leave a
container of hot water in the bathroom even for a split second. Add hot
water to cold water not the other way around.
Do not revive a fire
with gasoline, alcohol, kerosene or other flammable products.
Watch out for leaking
LPG canisters. Always turn it off when you leave the house or at night,
before going to bed.
Never let lighted
cigarette in the ashtray if you have to leave the room or house. A burning
butt could fall off and burn the carpet or other flammable furnishing.
Never empty an
ashtray into the wastebasket before leaving the house (or office) or going
to bed. All it needs is a single live ember to spark off a fire in the
Have the house
checked regularly by a qualified electrician for faulty wiring. Too many
fire have been started by faulty wiring specially after a brownout.
Unplug all appliances
if youíre leaving for a trip and no one will be left to
care for the
house. Even if a maid is staying, unplug everything in the master bedroom
and all other appliances that are not needed.
Do not play on
rooftops or retrieve kites from electric posts; you may get electrocuted.
Do not open
Stay away from
For first aid,
immerse burned body part in cool or tap water for 15 to 30 minutes.
Always keep an
anti-burn cream in your medicine cabinet. Do not use toothpaste.
electrical component and proper usage of electricity. Avoid overloading
No smoking in bed.
Keep matches and lighter away from children.
Do not leave cooking unattended. Never throw water onto burning pots and
pans, water will spread the flame. Have a fire extinguisher handy.
The following are classified fire extinguishers which would be of great
guide in helping you choose the right type of extinguisher for the right
kind of fire.
- Place oily
rags in covered containers
- Do not
refuel gasoline-powered equipment while it's hot
flammable liquids in tightly closed containers & store them away
from spark-producing sources
- Check for
leaks in valves and tubes regularly
equipment immediately if there is a strange smell
- Not common
and difficult to extinguish once fire is ignited
precautions, to use Class-D fire extinguisher agent
- Fix old
wiring, worn insulation and broken electrical fittings
motors from overheating
appliance that smells strange
overloading electrical outlet
- Do not
leave cooking unattended
children away from cooking area.